Friday, June 18, 2010

The Green Monster!

No..I'm not talking about left field at Fenway Park..



And I'm not talking about the monster under your bed..


I'm talking about the new craze in Smoothies!! The Green Monster.


I've been hearing about these "green monster" smoothies for a while now, but haven't tried one until today. There are thousands of variations, but the most important part is the green! Spinach! And I understand if the mention of the word spinach completely turns you off, but hear me out. Don't be scared. Spinach is sooooo good for you! It's loaded with antioxidants, anti-inflammatory properties, it protects against eye diseases, it's good for your heart, there's fiber in it, as well as tons of vitamins! 

But I know what you're wondering. Can you taste it in the smoothie?! Not at ALL! I drank the one I made this morning so quickly, I forgot to take a picture for you to see. But mine was a pretty blue-ish purple color, and had no hint of green at all.

Here is how I made mine:
I blended up 1 cup of milk with a banana, 1/2 cup frozen blueberries, 1 cup of frozen fruit mix (pineapple, strawberries, mangoes), 1 cup of spinach, and 1 teaspoon of olive oil (because it's good for you!) And it was amazing! And I got in all of my daily fruit/veggie servings in one smoothie! Holy moly that's amazing! I think the only thing I want to add next time is protein powder, so I stay fuller longer. Too bad we don't have any in Korea!
Anyway..I hope I've inspired you to try a Green Monster and to not be afraid of spinach. Enjoy!!


1 comment:

Mom said...

Hi Honey! That doesn't sound too bad actually, I may try to make it.