Wednesday, April 22, 2009

joie de vivre

I love being here. I feel like I am part of something bigger than myself, even if it's just in a small way.

I just finished reading Donald Miller's "Blue Like Jazz" for the second (or was it the third?) time..and one of my favorite parts of the book is when he's talking about self-addiction. And how so many people are just looking out for themselves and don't care or take the time to meet the needs of anyone else. I don't want to walk through this life caring only about me and making sure my needs are met first. 

Here is an excerpt from "Blue Like Jazz." A poem by C.S. Lewis.

All this is flashy rhetoric about loving you.
I never had a selfless thought since I was born. 
I am mercenary and self-seeking through and through;
I want God, you, all friends, merely to serve my turn. 

Peace, reassurance, pleasure, are the goals I seek,
I cannot crawl one inch outside my proper skin;
I talk of love--a scholar's parrot may talk Greek--
But, self-imprisoned, always end where I begin. 

I hope that each and every day, I can become a bit more like Jesus was. Caring, selfless, and more than anything, loving to everyone.